В этой статье вы найдете три варианта Reading Comprehension Tests для 8 класса. Тексты и задания к ним довольно простые, однако, возможно, в них использована незнакомая лексика. Первый текст — School in the Slums по теме School and Education, второй текст — Presents for the Natives по теме travelling или famous people, третий текст — The Olympic Champion Gives Advice по теме sport или health.
Задания по чтению рассчитаны на 8 класс.
Reading test #1 для 8 класса. School in the Slums
- Slums – трущобы
- Locks – замки
- Guards — охранники
- Permission — разрешение
Mellish school is in the slums of Brooklyn for pupils between twelve and fifteen years of age. There are about 1500 pupils there, and 90 teachers.
It’s a problem school, perhaps one of the most difficult schools in America. The white teachers can’t walk to the school because they may be attacked. They all drive to school, and their cars have special locks. There’s always a black policeman at the door of the school. He has a radio contact with the school guards. Pupils must have a written permission from the teacher if they want to go to the toilet. There’s a guard outside the washroom. Only one child can go into the washroom at a time, and he can’t stay there long.
The children who live in that district go to that school. They are all black children. However, why do the teachers work there?
“It’s very hard of course,” says Jane Flinch, a forty- five-year-old teacher. Most children have problems at home. Some of them are beaten by their parents. Some of them sleep at the lessons because they had to work at night. Some of the children get sick at the lessons because they didn’t have breakfast or even a meal for a day or two.
It’s the love of the job that keeps the teachers in that school. They teach and do social work. They feel that they are doing something good for the children who need help.
“There’s also the problem of violence,” says one of the teachers. “Sometimes when I go into a class, I can feel that some of the children are like a dynamite. However, I feel quite safe. I am sure that other pupils will help me.” There is very little money for teaching in that school. There is no money to buy food for the children.
The principal of the school has been there for many years. A lot of his happy optimism has gone. “No, I’m not optimistic about the future. Look around you,” he says and points out of the window at the high wall round the school. ”It’s not a very bright sight: buildings have holes instead of the windows, shops are closed, groups of people are sitting on the steps of the houses. They have nowhere to go and nothing to do.”
“We need money,” he says, “money is the only way to help this school and these people, and, of course, jobs for the people.”
Задания к тексту.
Exercise 1. Подберите правильный ответ.
Mellish school is for
a) small children.
b) older children.
c) small and older children.
The white teachers can’t walk to school because
a) they live far from the school.
b) they don’t like to walk.
c) it’s dangerous for them.
There’s a policeman
a) at the door of the school.
b) near the toilet.
c) outside the washroom.
The white teachers work there because
a) they can’t find a better job.
b) they love their job.
c) they get a lot of money there.
The school needs
a) more money
b) more teachers.
c) more policemen.
Exercise 2. Say if the statements are true, false or not mentioned.
- Mellish school is in the slums of Mexico.
- Most children have problems at home.
- Mellish a problem school.
- The principal of the school has 5 children in his family.
- The school needs money.
- It’s good salary that keeps the teachers in that school.
Exercise 3. Answer the questions.
- Where is Mellish school situated?
- How many pupils are there in the school?
- Is it hard or easy for the teachers to work in this school?
- Why do some of the pupils sleep during the lessons?
- Is the principal optimistic?
Exercise 4. Заполните пропуски одним подходящим по смыслу словом.
- Mellish school is one of the most difficult schools in ___________.
- The ___________ teachers can’t walk to the school because they may be attacked.
- Pupils must have a written permission from the teacher if they want to go to the ___________.
- The teachers teach and do __________ work.
Exercise 5. Write about the problems of Mellish school.
Текст для 8 класса #2. Presents for the Natives
Miklukho-Maclay was a Russian scientist and traveller who lived more than a year on the island of New Guinea. The ship came to the island in the evening of a September day in 1871. Next morning the captain said to Maclay:
“You are coming ashore. Why don’t you take more men with you? Have you a gun?”
“I don’t need a gun. I have presents for the natives.”
The island was beautiful. There were trees and flowers everywhere, and it was very hot. The sun shone brightly high above Maclay’s head. He walked for some time down a forest path. Suddenly he stopped because he heard a noise. A native stood in front of him. He looked at Maclay quickly and then started running away. Maclay ran after him. The native looked back and suddenly stopped. Maclay took out some presents and showed them to the man. The native took the presents and smiled. This was how Miklukho-Maclay met the first black man on the first day of his life in New Guinea. The native’s name was Tui. He was Maclay’s best friend all the time that the traveller lived on the island.
On the first of October Maclay started out for a walk in the forest. He carried no gun. He had only a notebook and a pencil. In the forest, he met a native boy who saw him and ran away. Maclay heard the voices of men and women and the cries of children. Suddenly many men with spears in their hands came out. They stopped and looked at Maclay angrily. When he tried to say something, one of the men wanted to throw his spear at him. Maclay did not know a word of their language. He could not explain that he was their friend. He knew that he had to do something quickly. And a good idea came to him. He suddenly sat down on the ground and began to take off his shoes. Then he lay down, put a bag under his head and ... slept. The natives did nothing to him.
Задания к тексту.
Задание 1. Say YES /NO
- Did Mikiukho-Maclay take a gun when he came ashore? Yes / No
- Was it very hot on the island? Yes / No
- Did the native boy run away when he saw Mikiukho- Maclay? Yes / No
- Did Tui take the presents from Mikiukho-Maclay? Yes / No
Задание 2. Correct the following sentences according to the test “Presents tor the Natives".
- Miklukho Maclay lived on the Island more than two years.
- Miklukho-Maclay took a lot of men with him when he came ashore.
- Miklukho-Maclay did not run after the native
- Tui became his enemy
- When Miklukho-Maclay went for a walk he had a gun and a spear with him.
- Miklukho-Maclay could easily explain to the natives that he was their friend.
Задание 3. Read the text and say if the statements are true or false.
- The island was beautiful.
- The native didn’t take the presents and were angry.
- The island was New Guinea.
- Maclay knew the natives’ language and could speak well.
Задание 4. Complete the sentences according to the teхt.
- I don’t ... a gun.
- The sun shone ... high above Maclay’s head.
- A native stood ... him.
- This was how Miklukho-Maclay met the first ... on the first day of his life in New Guinea.
- Maclay heard the ... of men and women and the cries of children.
- Maclay did not know ... of their language.
Задание 5. Why in your opinion Miklukho-Maclay didn’t take a gun to the island?
Тест по чтению по английскому языку 8 класс #3. The Olympic Champion Alexandr Medved Gives Advice
A wrestler must have many qualities to beat his rivals. He must be strong and very quick. Then he needs enough strength to tear the rival from the mat and throw him on the floor.
I will tell you about myself. I grew up tall and thin with no great strength in my arms. Wrestling came into my life when I was 18. I was 188 cm tall and weighed 85 kg and could not compete with my rivals in strength.
Then I decided to build up my muscles. I developed a system of exercises, which helped me to become stronger. I spent much time weight lifting. I lifted a bar equal to my own weight, which is up to 100 kg. However, that happened after two years of regular exercising. At first, the weight was only 30-40 kg. In general, I advise to choose the weight, which is twice as small as your own.
Push-ups were also of great help to me. At first, I could push up only 3 or 4 times, so weak were my arms! Then 30 times. Interesting enough, if you strengthen your legs, you feel as if your body has become much lighter. It is a very useful exercise. I also worked with dumb-bells and weights and threw heavy stones into air. You must combine muscle-building exercises with long distance running. It is a good relaxation for the arms and back muscles.
I was considered the strongest heavyweight wrestler in the world. However, I have never been the biggest among my rivals. I weighed a little over 100 kg but defeated even those who weighed 120, 150 and 180 kg like the American Chris Taylor whom I threw on the floor at the 1972 Olympics. If you are strong, you do not fear any rivals! My advice to you is if you want to be strong, take up physical exercises at once.
Задания к тексту.
Exercise 1. Choose the right answer.
The sportsman is
- A boxer b) a wrestler, c) a runner
He began to do sports when he was
- b) 17. c) 18.
If you strengthen your legs, you feel as if your body has become
- a) much lighter b) heavier c) smaller
Long distance running is a good relaxation for
- Your mind b) the arms and back muscles c) the leg muscles
Exercise 2. Say if the statements are true or false.
- Alexandr Medved grew up tall and thin with no great strength in his arms.
- When he was 18, he could easily compete with his rivals in strength.
- At first, he lifted a bar equal to only 30-40 kg.
- After a year of regular exercising, he lifted a bar equal to 100 kg.
- Push-ups were not of great help to him.
Exercise 3. Insert the words, according to the text.
- A wrestler must have many qualities to __________ his rivals.
- ____________came into my life when I was 18.
- Then I decided to build up my ___________.
- At first, I could push up only 3 or 4 times, so weak were my ___________
- I weighed a little over 100 kg but ______________ even those who weighed 120, 150 and 180 kg
Exercise 4. Answer the questions.
- What qualities must a wrestler have to beat his rivals?
- What advice does A. Medved give about choosing the weight for the weight lifting exercises?
- How can a person become strong?
Exercise 5. Write about your favorite sportsperson.
Ответы к тестам по чтению для 8 класса.
School in the Slums
Упражнение 1. 1b, 2c, 3a, 4b, 5a
Упражнение 2. 1 false, 2 true, 3 true, 4 not mentioned, 5 true, 6 false
- Mellish school is in the slums of Brooklyn.
- There are 1500 pupils in the school
- It is hard for the teachers to work in this school
- Some of the pupils sleep during the lessons, because they work at night.
- The principal is not optimistic
Упражнение 4. 1 America, 2 white, 3 toilet (washroom), 4 social
Упражнение 5. Ваши ответы.
Presents for the Natives
Упражнение 1. 1 No, 2 Yes, 3 Yes, 4 Yes
Упражнение 2. Варианты ответов.
- Miklukho Maclay lived on the Island for more than a year.
- Miklukho-Maclay was alone when he came ashore.
- Miklukho-Maclay ran after the native
- Tui became his best friend.
- When Miklukho-Maclay went for a walk he had a notebook and a pencil with him.
- Miklukho-Maclay couldn’t explain to the natives that he was their friend.
Упражнение 3. 1 true, 2 false, 3 true, 4 false
Упражнение 4. 1 need, 2 brightly, 3 in front of, 4 native, 5 voices, 6 a word
Упражнение 5. Ваши варианты.
The Olympic Champion Gives Advice
Exercise 1. 1b, 2с, 3a, 4b
Exercise 2. 1 true, 2 false, 3 true, 4 false, false
Exercise 3. 1 beat, 2 wrestling, 3 muscles, 4 arms, 5 defeated
Exercise 4. Варианты ответов.
- A wrestler must be strong and very quick.
- He advises to choose the weight, which is twice as small as your own.
- If you want to be strong, take up physical exercises.
Exerсise 5. Ваши варианты
Надеюсь, эти тесты и задания по чтению для 8 класса были вам полезны.
Понравилось? Сохраните на будущее и поделитесь с друзьями!