Тема: любовь, взаимоотношения, внешность.
Грамматика: Past Simple.
Количество слов: 314.
- Study the wordlist for the story.
Weaver – ткач
Smith – кузнец
Woodcutter – дровосек
Suitor – жених
Moan — причитать
Sink (sank) – тонуть
- Insert the words in the appropriate form into the sentences.
- A man who makes things out of metal by heating and hitting it is called a ___________.
- The Titanic ________ in 1912.
- After falling off the bike Greg ________ with pain.
- Mary can't make up her mind which of her numerous ____________ she should marry.
- A ___________ makes clothes.
- A _____________ cuts trees.
Read the text twice and try to memorize as much as you can.
An Ugly Princes.
The king of Spain decided to marry off his daughter Sarah, but not to a prince but to a working man. Three hundred weavers, three hundred smiths, three hundred woodcutters and a sailor, Yen by name, were brought to the palace. The princess came out before them, they looked at her and they all said: «Oh!» The princess had grey hair, only one eye, there were no teeth in her mouth. She was not a princess but a monster.
All the suitors run away. And Yen sailed to Greece. Sarah cried bitterly. She cried and cried and couldn’t stop. By and by her moans turned into a song – a very sad, but beautiful song. Some businessmen came from America. They recorded princess Sarah’s song, sold the records and earned six million dollars.
Once Yen was caught in a storm at sea. There were large waves and he was thrown onto a desert island. The ship sank but the waves threw a gramophone and a few records onto the land together with the man. When Yen came to himself he put on one of the records and suddenly heard Sarah’s voice day and night and fell in love with the princess. Yen came back to Spain and told the king he wanted to marry his daughter.
«I’m going to love her as ugly as she is», he said. Sarah came, wearing a mask on her face. When Yen told her he loved her Sarah took the mask off and everybody saw that she was BEAUTIFUL!!!
It was a custom in Spain that a young woman should wear a mask when she met her suitors. The man who told her he loved her should become her husband. If Yen had known that, he would have married her long time before that. But then the world wouldn’t have had Sarah’s beautiful and sad songs.
Exercise 1. Which word from every group was not mentioned in the text? Cross out.
a) Spain, Norway, Greece
b) Woodcutter, smith, tailor
c) Ugly, beautiful, pretty
d) King, princess, tzar
e) Mountain, sea, island.
Exercise 2. Who did it in the text: Sarah, Yen or the king?
- Who decided to marry off his daughter?
- Who had grey hair and only one eye?
- Who cried bitterly?
- Who was caught in a storm at sea?
- Who sailed to Greece?
- Who came in wearing a mask on the face?
Exercise 3. Say if the statements are true or false. Correct the false statements.
- The king of Greece decided to marry off his daughter Sarah.
- All the suitors saw that the princess was beautiful.
- By and by Sarah’s moans turned into a song – a very happy and beautiful song.
- There were large waves and the king was thrown onto a desert island.
- Yen came back to Spain and told the king he wanted to marry his daughter.
Exercise 4. Answer the questions.
- Was Sarah really a beauty or a monster?
- Who was Yen by profession?
- Where did Yen sail after he saw Sarah for the first time?
- What did Yen do on the island?
- Why did Sarah put on a mask?
Exercise 5. What do you think is more important: inner or outer beauty? Write at least 5 sentences.
- Smith, 2. sank, 3. moaned, 4. suitors, 5. weaver, 6. Woodcutter
II. 1. The king; 2.Sarah; 3.Sarah; 4.Yen; 5.Yen; 6. Sarah
- False. The king of Spain decided to marry off his daughter Sarah.
- False. All the suitors saw that the princess was a monster.
- False. By and by Sarah’s moans turned into a song – a very sad, but beautiful song.
- False. There were large waves and Yen was thrown onto a desert island.
- True. Yen came back to Spain and told the king he wanted to marry his daughter.
- Sarah was really a beauty.
- Yen was a sailor.
- Yen sailed to Greece.
- He listened to Sarah’s songs?
- It was a custom in Spain.
Понравилось? Сохраните на будущее и поделитесь с друзьями!