Сегодняшний материал посвящен отработке двух прошедших времен – Past Simple и Past Continuous.
Если Вы забыли, что это за времена, повторить можно здесь:
На сайте также есть упражнения отдельно по каждому из данных времен:
Готовы? Давайте приступать.
Past Simple vs. Past Continuous Exercises.
Упражнение 1. Choose the correct verb form (Past Simple or Past Continuous) to complete the sentences.
- The film was rubbish, so we left / were leaving the cinema and went / were going to the cybercafé.
- I didn’t like / wasn’t liking the program we watched / were watching, so I turned / was turning off the TV.
- Dave rang / was ringing me while I did / was doing my homework.
- As I fell / was falling asleep, I heard/was hearing a strange noise.
- I dropped / was dropping my keys while I ran / was running for the bus.
- The competition judges didn’t know / weren’t knowing whose food they tasted / were tasting.
Упражнение 2. Complete the email with the Past Simple or Past Continuous of these verbs. You will need to use some verbs more than once.
Decide / get / give / go / happen / not hurt / play / try / want
Last weekend Ben and I visited that new leisure center that everyone is talking about. We 1) ___________ to the ice-skating rink first. Ben slipped a few times while he 2) ___________ to do acrobatic tricks, but luckily he 3) ___________ himself. After that, we went to the main hall to see what 4) __________ there. On one side of the hall a rock band 5) __________ while on the other side some skateboarders 6) ____________ a display. The Skateboarders were fantastic so we 7) ___________ to stay and watch them.
After the exhibition, we both 8) __________ to go to the shops inside the center. But it was nearly rush hour and the shops 9) ___________ really crowded so we 10) ____________ to the multiplex cinema to see The Illusionist. What a fantastic film!
Упражнение 3. Match the beginnings (1-7) with the endings (a-g). Then complete the sentences with the past simple or past continuous of the verbs in brackets.
1. He ___________ (climb) down the side of a building
2. The sun _________ (shine) brightly
3. The hot water tank _________ (explode)
4. When we _________ (get) to the concert
5. I _________ (not know) that my friends
6. While you _________ (lie) on the beach
7. Last year, Simon _________ (give up) painting
a) while I __________ (have) a shower.
b) the band ___________ (play) my favourite song.
c) when suddenly the rope _________ (break).
d) and __________ (take up) sculpture instead.
e) ___________ (prepare) a surprise party for me.
f) when I __________ (get up) this morning.
g) we ___________ (study) for our exams!
Упражнение 4. Вставьте Past Simple или Past Continuous
- An amazing display of traditional-style canoes ____ last week in Portland (to begin).
- Last month, we ________ the most amazing opportunity to head down to Nashville (to have).
- These ladies__________ an apartment when they ____ both _______ English in Jakarta, Indonesia (to share, to teach).
- Last year we________ too tired even to make quality home design (to be).
- While the tourists __________ at the beach, animators __________ coffee in the bar (to dance, to have).
- Last time there ________ a snowfall in November in 2016 (to be).
- A Qatari sheikh ________ more than £1billion on his art collection last year (to spend).
- The hot-blooded and furious Tybalt ________ a grudge against Romeo (to bear).
- While we __________ to a dive site we __________ the advantages of Utila, the smallest and most unspoiled of the Bay Islands of Honduras (to boat, to discuss).
- In the late 1600s, the British ________ all non-English ships from trading with colonies (to forbid).
- We ________ busy building our new country house that year (to be).
- Our friend’s dog __________ us as we__________ around the neighborhood (to follow, to walk).
- The student __________ up the escalator while it __________ (to run, to move).
Ответы к упражнениям.
1 — Left / went, 2 — didn’t like / were watching / turned, 3 – rang / was doing, 4 — was falling / heard, 5-dropped / was running, 6 — didn’t know / were tasting
Exercise 2. 1.went 2.was trying 3.didn’t hurt 4.was happening 5.was playing 6.were giving 7.decided 8.wanted 9.were getting 10.went
1C — was climbing, broke
2G — was shining, got up
3A - exploded, was having
4B – got, was/were playing
5E – didn’t know, were preparing
6G – were lying, were studying
7D – gave up, took up
1 began, 2 had, 3 were sharing / were teaching, 4 were, 5 were dancing / were having, 6 was, 7 spent, 8 bore, 9 were boating / were discussing, 10 forbade, 11 were, 12 was following /were walking, 13 was running / was moving
Понравилось? Сохраните на будущее и поделитесь с друзьями!
Добрый день. Наверное в 13-м предложении правильно будет сказать was running & was moving?
А почему в Упражнении 4. 1. An amazing display of traditional-style canoes ____ last week in Portland (to open).
Ответ: opened, а не was opened?
Потому что в past simiple S+V2+ed
a was/were — это Past continuous
Но в Past continuous окончание не -ed а -ing
здравствуйте! я не совсем поняла какое время используется в 2.9
в ответе это Pst Countiniuos в пассиве, но ведь у этого времени присутствует слово being: to be+being+V3, а здесь получается вместо being — getiing
Разве так можно?
Лема, здесь используется Past Continuous (никакого Passive)
The shops were getting really crowded.
форма глагола — were getting
Crowded в данном случае — прилагательное (то есть не относится к форме глагола). Вот вам похожий пример: It was getting cold. Я только предполагаю, что именно наличие crowded могло навести вас на мысль о пассиве.