На сайте уже есть подборка сложных упражнений на модальные глаголы, сегодня я хочу предложить вам несколько упражнений более простого уровня. Эти упражнения я использую для 6 — 9 классов в качестве повторения и отработки нового материала. Все упражнения на модальные глаголы даются с ответами.
Модальные глаголы: упражнения 6 класс
Упражнение 1. Вставьте подходящий модальный глагол (can / may)
- ______ you see anything in this dark room?
- ______ I borrow your rubber, please? Yes, of course you ______.
- Kate______ speak English.
- Mike has got many books so he______ read them.
- ______ I borrow your pen?
- Only a person who knows the language very well ______ answer such a question.
- Most children______ slide on the ice very well.
- You ______find any kind of information on the Internet.
- British Parliament ______issue laws and form the budget.
- ______ I try on this coat?
- You ______not talk loudly in libraries.
- He ______read and write in English.
Упражнение 2. Complete the sentences with the correct modal verb. Use must, mustn't, or don't have to.
I _________________ (1) go to school from Monday to Friday. We ___________________ (2) wear a uniform, so I normally wear sports clothes. We ___________________ (3) arrive late, and we ___________________ (4) go to every class. In class, we __________________ (5) shout, play or sing. We _____________________ (6) have lunch at school, so I sometimes go home. When school finishes, I ___________________ (7) look after my little sister. When my parents come home I ______________________ (8) stay in, so I usually go out with my friends. When I get home, I __________________ (9) do my homework. I ____________________ (10) go to bed late, except on Fridays, when I _________________ (11) go to bed before midnight.
Упражнение 3. Вставьте подходящий модальный глагол (mustn’t / needn’t)
- Shall I turn on the light? — No, you ______. It is still light in the room.
- You______ make your bed. I'll do it for you.
- You ______buy mineral water, we have plenty.
- We______ stay up late.
- You______ take an umbrella today. The sun is shining.
- It’s prohibited to go into that building. You______ go in.
- The meeting is very important. We______ be late.
- I______ forget my keys or I won’t get in.
- You______ bring sandwiches. We can stop at a cafe.
- Pupils______ smoke.
- In this school pupils ______wear school uniform. They can wear jeans and T-shirts.
Упражнение 4. Вставьте подходящий модальный глагол (must / can / need)
- Sonia ______ practise so much if she wants to take part in the marathon.
- If you want to improve your English, you ______work very hard.
- You ______not come to help them tomorrow: the work is done.
- You ______not change the whole text as the beginning is all right.
- John ______not tell us the rules of the game: we know them.
- We ______not afford to pay the bill.
- It is already six o’clock. We ______hurry if we don’t want to be late.
- She ______decorate a room nicely.
- You ______take care of your parents.
- We ______stay with my brother when we are in Paris.
Модальные глаголы: упражнения 7 класс
Упражнение 5. Подчеркните правильный вариант употребления модального глагола.
- You must / should / shouldn’t be 18 before you can drive in Spain.
- You don’t have to / mustn’t / shouldn’t go to bed so late. It's not good for you.
- You don’t have to / mustn’t / shouldn’t wear a school uniform in most Spanish state schools.
- You must / mustn’t / needn’t come. I can do it without you.
- You don’t have to /must / mustn’t copy during exams.
- You don’t have to /mustn’t / shouldn’t be very tall to play football.
- You must /mustn’t / needn’t be a good writer to win the Pulitzer Prize.
Упражнение 6. Вставьте подходящий модальный глагол (must / may / can)
- You ______not smoke here.
- ______you hear that strange noise?
- He______come today or tomorrow.
- My little brother______ count to ten.
- This incident ______have serious consequences.
- You ______have a valid permit to enter.
Упражнение 7. Вставьте подходящий модальный глагол (must / may)
- I’m not sure but perhaps Roberto ______ leave for Australia soon.
- You ______talk to your daughter about her future.
- You ______ have a visa to travel to some countries.
- You ______ stop smoking. It is bad for your health.
- I ______make sure cargoes reach their destination.
- However cold it ______ be, we’ll go skiing.
- People ______ take care of future.
Упражнение 8. Вставьте подходящий модальный глагол (must / could / ought / may)
- ______ Einstein speak English when he went to live in the USA?
- Mary ______swim when she was three.
- You ______be joking. No one buys two Rolls Royces.
- They ______be tired. They’ve been travelling all night.
- He ______to go to the dentist because he has toothache.
- I ______ swim quite well when I was five years old.
- ______ I ride your bicycle, please, Jane?
- She ______be Scottish with a surname like McKenzie.
- At your age you ______ to be earning your living.
- You ______to feel some respect for your elders.
Модальные глаголы: упражнения 8 класс
Упражнение 9. Вставьте подходящий модальный глагол (must / may / need)
- ______ I invite Nick to our house?
- It _____rain soon.
- You ______not make notes in the books.
- You ______pay your bills in restaurants.
- The baby is sleeping. You ______not shout.
- That diamond bracelet is very elegant but it ______have cost a fortune.
- You ______not say anything if you don’t want to.
- I can hear you quite well. You ______not shout.
- He has left the army and doesn’t ______to wear a uniform any more.
- I’ve bought everything, so you ______not go shopping.
- Tim gave me a letter to post. I ______not forget to post it.
Упражнение 10. Complete the sentences with the positive or negative forms of must or have to.
- Brilliant! I ___________________ study tonight because I've finished my exams.
- You ___________________ use a mobile phone on a plane.
- You can go out, but you ___________________ be home by midnight.
- Jo _______________________ go to school by bus. She lives nearby.
- We _____________________ cook tonight. We can get a pizza.
- She _____________________ get up early. She's on holiday.
- You ____________________ study harder or you are going to fail.
- You _____________________drive faster than 120 km/h on the motorway.
Упражнение 11. Choose the correct modal verb in italics:
- I can / can’t / might go out tonight. I'm too busy.
- I haven't studied enough. I may / may not / might pass my exams.
- They say it must/ need / might snow tomorrow.
- She can /might not / won’t be able to help us. She's not available.
- Can / May / Might you come to my party?
- We should run or we can / might / might not miss the bus.
Модальные глаголы: упражнения 9 класс
Упражнение 12. Complete the sentences with the correct modal verb in italics:
- You couldn’t / mustn’t / shouldn’t eat so many hamburgers. They're not good for you.
- You can’t have / don’t have to /mustn’t study at the weekends, except when you have exams.
- You may not / might not /needn’t Everything will be OK.
- You don’t have to /might not/mustn’t use your mobile phone in class.
- Diana looks happy. She can /can have /must have heard some good news.
- I can’t /may not /might not have left my mobile phone at school on Friday afternoon – I had it on Friday night.
- It can /could / couldn’t rain tomorrow.
Упражнение 13. Вставьте подходящий модальный глагол (must / can / should / may)
- I have some free time. I ______ help her now.
- I ______ drive Susan's car when she is out of town.
- ______ I have a glass of water?
- Anyone ______ become rich and famous if they know the right people.
- You ______ go to this party. It's very important.
- Bird ______ be known by its song.
- He is coming here so that they ______ discuss it without delay.
- It's late. You ______ go to bed.
- He ______ have told me about it himself.
Упражнение 14. Rewrite the sentences using modal verbs
1. — Some people just don’t know how to sing. (be able to)
2. — There’s a chance that she’s in the airport. (could)
3. — I knew how to ride a horse when I was six. (could)
4. — John isn’t sure if he is going to Turkey. (might not)
5. — Do not block the emergency exit. (mustn’t)
6. — It is dangerous to use mobile phones on the plane. (mustn’t)
7. — It is necessary to fasten your seat belt for landing and taking off. (must)
8. -It’s possible that he’ll be there to meet us. (may)
9. — This is a surprise. Don’t tell anybody about it. (shouldn’t)
Упражнение 15. Complete the sentences with a suitable modal verb. Use must, don’t have to, might, should, must have, mustn’t, can’t have and shouldn’t.
- You ____________________ drive on the pavement. It's illegal.
- You ____________________ say that. It's not nice.
- I ______________________ go to work tomorrow because it's a public holiday.
- I ______________________ buy this CD, but I'm not sure.
- He's not here. He _____________________ gone out.
- She didn't study enough. She _____________________ passed her exam.
- You ____________________ eat more vegetables. They're good for you.
- You ____________________ be 18 before you can buy alcohol.
Упражнение 16. Write the sentences again without changing the meaning. Use one of the modal verbs in brackets.
- It’s possible Mary saw him. (must / may / can)
- I am certain Peter has got lost. (should / could / must)
- My advice is that you stop. (should / must / could)
- Perhaps we went to London. (must / can / might)
- I am sure Pierre is French. (can / must / could)
- It’s not possible that Peter kissed Helen. (might not / can’t / should )
Ответы к упражнениям на модальные глаголы.
1 can, 2 may/may, 3 can, 4 can, 5 may, 6 can, 7 can, 8 can, 9 can, 10 may, 11 may, 12 can
1 must, 2 don’t have to, 3 mustn’t, 4 must, 5 mustn’t, 6 don’t have to, 7 must, 8 don’t have to, 9 must, 10 mustn’t, 11 don’t have to
1 needn’t, 2 needn’t, 3 needn’t, 4 mustn’t, 5 needn’t, 6 mustn’t, 7 mustn’t, 8 mustn’t, 9 needn’t, 10 mustn’t, 11 needn’t
1 must, 2 must, 3 need, 4 need, 5 need, 6 can, 7 must, 8 can, 9 must, 10 can
1 must, 2 shouldn’t, 3 don’t have to, 4 needn’t, 5 mustn’t, 6 don’t have to, 7 must
1 must, 2 can, 3 may, 4 can, 5 may/can, 6 must
1 may, 2 must, 3 must, 4 must, 5 must, 6 may, 7 must
1 Could, 2 could, 3 must, 4 must, 5 ought, 6 could, 7 may, 8 must, 9 ought, 10 ought
1 May, 2 may, 3 must, 4 must, 5 must/may, 6 must, 7 may, 8 need, 9 need, 10 need, 11 must
1 don’t have to, 2 mustn’t, 3 must, 4 doesn’t have to, 5 don’t have to, 6 doesn’t have to, 7 must, 8 mustn’t
1 can’t, 2 may not, 3 might, 4 won’t be able, 5 can, 6 can
1 shouldn’t, 2 don’t have to, 3 needn’t, 4 mustn’t, 5 must have, 6 can’t, 7 can
1 can, 2 may, 3 May, 4 can, 5 must, 6 may, 7 can, 8 should, 9 should
- Some people are not able to sing.
- She could be in the airport.
- I could ride a horse when I was six.
- John might not go to Turkey.
- You mustn’t block the emergency exit.
- You mustn’t use mobile phones on the plane.
- You must fasten your seat belt for landing and taking off
- He may be there to meet us. / Нe may meet us.
- This is a surprise. You shouldn’t tell anybody about it.
1 mustn’t, 2 mustn’t / shouldn’t, 3 don’t have to/needn’t, 4 might, 5 must have, 6 can’t have, 7 should, 8 must
- Mary can /may have seen him.
- Peter must have got lost.
- You should stop.
- We can go to London.
- Pierre must be French
- Peter can’t have kissed Helen.
Надеюсь, вам понравились эти упражнения на модальные глаголы.
Понравилось? Сохраните на будущее и поделитесь с друзьями!