Упражнения на третий тип условных предложений — Third conditional – являются продолжением цикла упражнений по теме CONDITIONALS. Ранее я уже размещала упражнения на первый тип условных предложений, а также упражнения с ответами по теме Second Conditional.
Third conditional exercises with answers.
Упражнение 1. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct form (Conditional 3).
- If the government ____________ (give) more money to the factory it _____________ (not close).
- If the government ___________ (build) flood barriers, we __________ (not have) the floods last year.
- If Dan ___________ (know) how to swim, he ____________ (not drown).
- If Molly __________ (listen) to the weather- forecast, she ______________ (know) it was going to rain.
- If Greg _____________ (tell) me he was ill, I ____________ (be) more sympathetic. .
- If she __________ (prepare) for the exam, she __________ (pass) it.
- If Bill _________ (see) the house, he ________ ( not buy) it.
- These words ___________ (roughly express) Bob’s feelings, if he __________ (be) capable of reasoning.
- But what ___________ (you do), if you ________ (see) what I saw
- It ___________ (be) all done though, if Jill __________ (help) at the right time.
Упражнение 2. Do you ever think about what would or would not have happened if ... ? Make a chain story, using the following.
If I _____________ (not use) so much gas, I _____________ (not have) such a big gas bill.
If I _____________ (must not) pay my gas bill, I _____________ (not go) out in the rain.
If I_____________ (not go) out in the rain, I _____________ (not catch) a cold.
If I _____________ (not catch) a cold, I _____________ (not carry) a handkerchief.
If I_____________ (not carry) a handkerchief, I_____________ (not drop) it.
If I _____________ (not drop) my handkerchief, Juan _____________ (not pick) it up.
If Juan_____________ (not pick) up my handkerchief, we_____________ (never meet).
Moral: Paying bills can be a good thing.
Упражнение 3. Correct the third Conditional sentences if you see any mistakes. Some of the sentences are correct.
- Molly might have thought that Paul was enjoying the weather, if there had been any to enjoy.
- If Krassotkin had known what an effect his words might have on the child, nothing would have had induced him to play this trick on him.
- Even if Jack had died, he wouldn’t just the same has escaped from his horrible position.
- It can all have gone off more harmoniously if Peter had taken the trouble to embellish his story.
- I wonder what might have happened if a Gatling (скорострельное стрелковое оружие) had been used.
- But if Molly had stayed in her home, she wouldn’t have any home left to stay in.
- Bill dreamed of it at the age when everyone would laugh to his face if they could have guessed what was in his head.
- If the robber had been someone like Molly Smith, she'd simply have put the chain straight in her pocket and get away as fast as she could.
- If Greg could move, Greg would have leapt upon me.
- If Sally had been with us, the sense of complicity would be cloying.
Упражнение 4. Rewrite the letter, using if-clauses (Third conditional).
I’m writing to you feeling completely frustrated. As you know, I have to give a reception every year to entertain my husband’s business associates, so I have to go to a lot of trouble. Well, disaster struck again! In my attempt to appear an original hostess, I ordered some Chinese and Thai food to be served with chopsticks. Needless to say, my guests disapproved. I also booked a Latin band to come and play live, but our middle-aged guests found it hard to dance so energetically. My husband has no sympathy for me and is mad at my choice of entertainment. I must confess I want to get out of organising such social gatherings. It’s a pity you weren’t here; you missed out on a unique opportunity to see my husband dancing.
Упражнение 5. Перевод. Translate the sentences using the third conditional.
- Питер не смог бы попасть туда, не встреть он мальчиков.
- Впрочем, если призрак был бы просто иллюзией, он должен был бы полностью исчезнуть, но он не исчез.
- Мужчина наверняка бы застрелил жену, если бы полицейский не оттолкнул его руку.
- Если Джека поймали, то, возможно, его взяли в плен.
- Cтарик стал так раздражителен, что, если бы Катя сказала бы ему, что не собиралась навестить его, он бы непременно обиделся.
- Если бы у Порфирия были хорошие карты, он бы показал их.
- Молли бы никогда не поставила себя в такое положение, если бы не доверяла Салли полностью.
Third Conditional exercises. Answers
1 had given / wouldn’t have closed, 2 had built / wouldn’t have had, 3 had known / wouldn’t have drowned, 4 had listened / would have known 5 had told / would have been, 6 had prepared / would have passed, 7 had seen / wouldn’t have bought, 8 would roughly have expressed / had been, 9 would you have done / had seen, 10 would have been / had helped.
Hadn’t used / wouldn’t have had;
Hadn’t had to pay / wouldn’t have gone;
Hadn’t gone / wouldn’t have caught;
Hadn’t caught / wouldn’t have been carrying;
Hadn’t been carrying / wouldn’t have dropped;
Hadn’t dropped / wouldn’t have picked;
Hadn’t picked / would have never met.
- would have had induced -> would have induced;
- has escaped -> have escaped;
- can -> could ;
- wouldn’t have -> wouldn’t have had;
- would laugh -> would have laughed;
- get -> would have got / got;
- would be -> would have been
Exercise 4. Different variants are possible.
- Peter could never have got there if he hadn`t met the boys.
- But if the ghost had been just an illusion, it should have faded away entirely, but it didn’t
- The man would certainly have shot his wife if the police officer had not thrust aside his hand.
- If Jack had been caught, they might have taken him prisoner.
- The old man had become so irritable that if Kate had told him that she wasn't going to visit him, he would certainly have been offended.
- If Porfiry had really had good cards, he would have shown them.
- Molly would have never placed herself in that position if she hadn't completely trusted Sally.
Понравилось? Сохраните на будущее и поделитесь с друзьями!