Продолжаем цикл упражнений на отработку модальных глаголов и сегодня обратимся к глаголам should и ought to. Как Вы знаете, разницы между этими глаголами нет, они оба переводятся как ‘следует’. Начнем с отработки should.
Should упражнения. Should exercises.
Упражнение 1. Write should or shouldn't in the sentences about travelling.
- You __________ take a map.
- You __________ make much noise on a train.
- You__________ touch wild animals.
- You__________ help your friends.
- You __________visit museums.
- You__________ take your toothbrush.
- You__________ be careful.
Упражнение 2. Вставьте should или shouldn’t по смыслу.
- The sun is really strong. He _______ put on some sun cream.
- If Meredith’s got a really bad cold, she ______ go to school.
- We_______eat in the classroom.
- If she's got a headache, she _______take an aspirin.
- The weather's very hot. You_______ wear a coat.
- They've found some money. They_______ take it to the police.
Упражнение 3. You want to visit a foreign country for a holiday. You ask someone from this country for advice. Complete the questions. Use ‘do you think I should’.
1 When| visit | your country?
2 go | in the summer?
3 How| travel | when I'm there?
4 hire | a car?
5 Which places | visit?
6 stay | in hotels?
7 take | traveller's cheques?
Пример: When do you think I should visit your country?
Упражнение 4. Give advice on the problems.
- Molly can't read this article in the original.
- Greg’s hurt his elbow.
- Sally can't see very well.
- The baby is too fat!
- I'm always tired.
- I've got an exam tomorrow.
Упражнение 5. Вставьте should или shouldn’t.
- Sally ______ work more as she’s missed some lessons.
- Mothers_______ shout at their children.
- The toddler ________ be in bed, as it is very late.
- Everyone ________ be careful while driving.
- Governments ______ respond to all the notifications.
- Governments ______ lead an effective social policy to protect the most vulnerable people.
- Families _______ be together at Christmas.
- The woman in her condition ______ drink, as it’s dangerous for her health.
- United Nations efforts ________ compromise the independence of the individual countries.
- Greg _______ have said it to Megan. He _______ have praised her to give her positive emotions.
Упражнение 6. Say whether your friend should or shouldn't do the following things.
eat soup every day
— I think you should eat soup every day.
eat so much chocolate
— You shouldn’t eat so much chocolate.
- always say ‘I am sorry!’ if you are wrong,
- read more,
- learn to play a musical instrument,
- learn irregular verbs,
- start smoking,
- stay out late,
- spend more time with your friends.
Упражнение 7. Составьте предложения о взаимоотношениях в семье.
talk to their parents, work harder, listen to their children, leave home, leave school, be more patient, be rude to their parents, ask friends home, be so strict, trust their children, help each other, shout at each other, be interested in each other, try to understand each other.
Ought to exercises.
Переходим к упражнениям на ought to.
Упражнение 8. Объедините части предложений с ought to.
1. Alex had no suit at all
2. In her prayer Sally was not perfect
3. Jill is a doctor
4. Little Frankie feared everything
5. It's your birthday
6. The parents don't want to lose Nick
7. You're a thief
8. The spaceman glanced back and saw a humanoid creature
9. This work is not for Jeffry
10. Jillian had no time to write a line but
a) except what he ought to fear.
b) that was bigger than any man ought to be.
c) and she ought to be able to help you.
d) you ought to have a cake
e) she ought to have warned them she was corning.
f) he ought to be a professor
g) as she did not know what she ought to pray for.
h) but he ought to go, as his King and his country both need him.
i) and he ought to buy new shoes too.
j) and you ought to be caught.
Упражнение 9. Вставьте ought to или oughtn’t to.
- Winners must be selected fairly; we ______ have any political tendency while voting.
- Megan _______ have considered all possibilities to make the right choice.
- Your boss _________ pay you twice for your brilliant work.
- A man _________ be magnanimous (великодушным).
- Despite Megan loves him, she ______ sacrifice everything for him.
- He ________ trouble you at all, he can do it by himself.
Упражнение 10. Исправьте ошибки в предложениях, если таковые имеются
- I am too kind myself and that is my biggest fault, for one ought not be always kind.
- If the committee changed the lunch hour, they ought at least to have let everybody know.
- Relations oughtn’t never to forget one another
- I compute Nickolas oughts to save eight thousand pounds.
- I only suggest that everything ought to be equal.
Ответы к упражнениям.
Should – 1, 4, 5, 6, 7
Shouldn’t – 2, 3
Should – 1, 4, 6
Shouldn’t – 2, 3, 5
- Do you think I should go to your country in summer?
- How do you think I should travel when I’m there?
- Do you think I should hire a car?
- Which places do you think I should visit?
- Do you think I should stay in hotels?
- Do you think I should take traveller's cheques?
Exercise 4. Different answers are possible.
Should – 1, 3, 4, 5, 6,7, 10 (второй случай)
Shouldn’t — 2, 8, 9, 10 (первый случай)
1 You should always say ‘I am sorry!’ if you are wrong.
2 You should real more.
3 You should learn to play a musical instrument.
4 You should learn irregular verbs.
5 You shouldn’t start smoking.
6 You shouldn’t stay out late.
7 You should / shouldn’t spend more time with your friends.
Exercise 7. Your own answers.
1 – I, 2 – g, 3 – c, 4 – a, 5 – d, 6 – h, 7 – j, 8 – b, 9 – f, 10 — e
Ought to – 2, 3, 4,
Oughtn’t to – 1, 5, 6
1 one ought not be -> one ought not to be, 2 correct, 3 oughtn’t -> ought, 4 oughts -> ought, 5 correct
Понравилось? Сохраните на будущее и поделитесь с друзьями!